Keast Burke
photographer, photo historian, editor of the Australian Photo-Review

 

A Web Site Dedicated to Keast Burke

Charles Bayliss

Gold And Silver (Australasian Photo-Review #7 1953)

cover   /  p-1   / p-2   /  p-3  / footnotes  / photos-1  / photos-2  / photos-3


APR  Photographs

Grateful acknowledgment for permission to reproduce these illustrations is made to Eric Bayliss and Bessie S. Patterson, respectively the sole surviving son and daughter of Charles Bayliss. There is one exception: for the G.P.O. panorama picture we kindly thank J. V. Hall (of Sydney).

(Cover Illustration)
Reduced facsimile (actual size about 16' by 20") of the Certificate of Commendation gained by Charles Bayliss at the Sydney International Exhibition of 1879. In the circular wreath design at the foot there can be seen an artist's sketch of the exhibition building as observed from the south-west.


The animated crowd gathered at the south-east corner of Circular Quay, Sydney, on March 3rd, 1885 in order to farewell the volunteers bound for Suakim in the Sudan; from this area many small craft went out to the Heads in company with the two troopships. The barque in the foreground is the "Scottish Bard".


Farm Cove, Sydney, showing the Garden Palace erected along the Macquarie Street frontage. The man-o-war in the foreground is either "Espiegle" or "Cormorant". The photograph was probably made some short time after the completion of the harbour wall in May, 1880.



The official landing of His Excellency Baron Carrington on December 12th, 1885 at Prince's Steps, central Circular Quay, Sydney. The steamer shown is the "Dharwar" but the reason for the prominence given to the 'Stars and Stripes' has not as yet been elucidated. (Photograph identified by A. J. Perier).
('Same-size' detail from the 10" by 12' original).

 


The master stonemason (and clerk of works), believed to have been John Howie, at work on a pillar of the Pitt Street wing of the G.P.O., Sydney, about the middle of 1882. Today the pillar can be readily identified through its characteristic marking by anyone who likes to stroll along the great colonnade. This section of the G.P.O. appears to have been finished in 1883-that is, about thirteen years after the George Street portion; the latter's facade once upon a time carried a "completion stone", engraved with the figures 1870, on one of its uppermost panels.

 


The tower of the G.P.O. (Sydney) under construction, towards the end of 1885. The group of figures includes Sir Henry Parkes (who had somewhat unsuccessfully endeovoured to resign from politics some little time previously as a mark of his disapproval of the Sudan venture). The more adventurous youth of the period (and this included A. J. "Mons" Perier) used to scale the tower scaffolding (by means of the cross pieces of the north-east vertical) for the purposes of having lunch two hundred feet above the streets of Sydney. Bayliss' own rooms were in George Street just to the north of the point from which this picture was exposed. The other buildings, besidesPalings, are the Railway's Booking Office and the Bank of New South Wales.


cover   /  p-1   / p-2   /  p-3  / footnotes  / photos-1  / photos-2  / photos-3


         

photographs copied from Gold And Silver (Australasian Photo-Review #7 1953)